Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Hoover, AL
Nothing matches the freedom and joy of riding a motorcycle and taking in the scenic beauty that Alabama has to offer. But on the flipside, riding is inherently riskier than being in a passenger vehicle. That said, this does not mean that a motorcyclist is automatically at fault when they are involved in a traffic accident — despite what insurance adjusters might tell you. In fact, in the majority of cases, the driver of the other vehicle is the one at fault or a motorcycle accident.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident in Hoover or anywhere in Alabama, it is important to connect with a motorcycle accident lawyer to help you explore your options. Reach out to Burge & Burge today at 205-251-9000 to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.
Common Causes of Hoover, AL Motorcycle Accidents
Accidents may be caused by motorcyclists, the other drivers involved in a crash, or faulty vehicle components. Some of the most common causes of crashes include:
- Unsafe lane changes. Drivers are notorious for changing lanes unsafely when a motorcyclist is next to them. Checking your blind spot is a must when driving, but many longtime drivers trust their experience enough to skip this vital step. When a motorcycle is in their blind spot, the chances of missing it during a quick look are much higher. This can put motorcyclists in serious danger.
- Left turns. When a driver makes a left turn, they are supposed to make sure there is no oncoming traffic that will have to slow down for them. This is difficult to judge when a motorcycle is coming from the opposite direction. Many drivers overestimate how much time they have to clear the intersection, and when this happens, they may strike the motorcyclist.
- Following too closely. Leaving enough following space is crucial, but it is even more important when the vehicle you’re following is a motorcycle. If a motorcyclist is rear-ended, they do not have any of the same protections as a person in a standard vehicle would. For that reason, many motorcycle accidents are caused by following too closely to stop safely.
- Inattentive or distracted driving. Distracted driving accounts for a massive amount of crashes every year. Unfortunately, when those accidents involve motorcycles, they are far more likely to cause severe or fatal injuries.
- Inexperienced drivers or riders. Some drivers never encounter motorcyclists until they are on the road without a trained instructor, leaving them unsure of how to drive safely around them. Similarly, a motorcyclist with minimal practice may put others on the road in danger.
- Driving under the influence. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a factor in quite a few motorcycle crashes.
Common Injuries that Happen to Motorcyclists
Across the board, Hoover, AL motorcyclists who are involved in crashes are more likely to suffer severe injuries than those in cars, vans, or SUVs. Injuries associated with motorcycle accidents include:
- Road rash. Road rash is undoubtedly one of the most common motorcycle accident injuries. Even with proper riding gear, the force of being thrown from a motorcycle can cause the skin to scrape off. Severe road rash can require skin grafts.
- Major road rash has a significant change of becoming an infection. The more skin ripped off during an accident, the more opportunities you have to be exposed to dirt and debris. If that becomes lodged in the body, infection quickly follows. Systemic infection can lead to death.
- Traumatic brain injuries. While traumatic brain injury is more likely to occur if a rider is not wearing a helmet, anyone can suffer a traumatic brain injury in a collision. Traumatic brain injuries range from mild concussions that heal on their own to severe injuries that leave victims with a coma.
- Spinal cord injuries. Damage to the spinal cord is fairly common in serious motorcycle accidents. Spinal cord injuries can lead to partial or complete paralysis. Even those who recover fully require months or years of therapy and rehabilitative care.
- Broken bones. From wrists and clavicles to arm and leg bones, fractures are fairly common in motorcycle accidents.
Why You Need an Attorney for your Hoover, AL Motorcycle Crash
After a motorcycle accident, the question you ask shouldn’t be “Do I need a motorcycle accident attorney?” It should be, “Which motorcycle accident attorney should I hire?”
As a motorcyclist, you will be going up against widespread prejudice and bias when you seek compensation for an accident. Even when it is obvious that the other driver is at fault, a surprising amount of insurance companies believe that a motorcyclist is to blame simply because they chose to ride a motorcycle. Without the help of a motorcyclist-friendly personal injury attorney, you are likely to get far less than you deserve in a settlement—if the insurance company offers you anything at all.
Your attorney will work hard to handle every step of the personal injury claim process. It starts with investigating the accident and examining every piece of evidence to figure out who is to blame. From there, they move onto assessing evidence of your injuries and figuring out how much each part of your claim may be worth. Then they begin negotiating with the insurance company.
This process generally starts when your attorney demands a number that they would consider fair. The insurance company will counter, and your attorney will counter and provide evidence supporting their counteroffer. This continues until either a suitable settlement is reached or negotiations falter.
If negotiations are unsuccessful, your attorney will move ahead with filing a lawsuit against the liable party. Remember, it is generally in everyone’s best interest to settle for a fair amount without the need to litigate, so the credible threat of going to court is often enough to get the insurance party to negotiate in good faith.
Whether it comes via settlement or a court award, your attorney’s goal is to secure a settlement for the losses you have suffered in an accident. A fair settlement will compensate you for medical bills, lost wages, lost future income, future medical care, pain and suffering, and other losses you may have incurred because of the accident.
Let Burge & Burge Help You Through Your Hoover, AL Motorcycle Accident Case
When you have the right attorney, you can rest easy during the claims process and focus on healing. That is where we come in. Our team has extensive experience with motorcycle accident cases, and we bring that skill and knowledge to the table when working with you. Schedule a consultation now by messaging us online or calling our office at 205-251-9000.