Jump to Navigation

Frequently Asked FELA Questions

Experienced FELA Attorneys

Burge & Burge, PC, has represented hundreds of injured railroad workers in the U.S. with Federal Employers' Liability Act (FELA) claims. Our lawyers have the experience to answer any questions and resolve your claim. For a free consultation, please call our Birmingham, Alabama, office at or contact us online.

What are some of the first things I should do?

Get the name and contact information of any witnesses, your crew members or those working with you. As time passes, it is easy to forget who you were working with that day. Even if someone was working with you but did not witness the injury, he or she may be able to add important information to your case.

How do I prove that the railroad violated the FELA?

  • If the railroad fails to provide you with a reasonable safe place to work
  • If the railroad failed to provide you with safe and proper equipment
  • If a fellow employee was negligent and careless
  • If an appliance such as a hand brake or a part of the locomotive engine is defective

Should I give the claim agent a written statement?

You do not have to give the claim agent a statement if you have filled out the proper personal injury or accident report. The supervisor or claim agent may attempt to have you give a statement in the hospital after you have been given pain medication. Tell the railroad representative, or have your spouse tell him or her, that you are not able to give a statement as you are in pain and have been given pain medication.

What do I tell my doctor?

It is vital that you tell your doctor what caused your injury. Sometimes, employees think they may get better and do not want to risk being fired for getting hurt, so they do not tell their medical provider that the injury is work related. That is a big mistake. The railroad will try to claim that you did not tell your doctor how it happened because the accident did not occur at work.

Who will pay my medical bills?

Typically, health insurance coverage through your employment with the railroad will cover your medical expenses. Your medical provider may be confused and insist that you provide them with information about your employer's workers' compensation carrier. We can explain to the doctor's office that the FELA is not workers' compensation, so you will be able to proceed with your medical care.

Contact Us Today

Call our office at to schedule an appointment. Your consultation is free.

Review Us

Burge & Burge, PC | 2001 Park Pl., Suite 850 | Birmingham, AL 35203 | Toll Free: 877-388-3749 | Phone: 205-545-8291 | Fax: 205-323-0512 | Birmingham Law Office Map

Burge & Burge, PC, is located in Birmingham, Alabama, and serves clients from cities such as Montgomery, Mobile, Huntsville, Decatur, Tuscaloosa, Dothan, Gadsden and Anniston, as well as the counties of Jefferson, Montgomery, Madison, Shelby, Baldwin, Walker, Mobile, Tuscaloosa, St. Clair, Talladega, Etowah, Calhoun, Winston, Houston, Greene, Blount, Cullman, Morgan and Limestone, AL.

Privacy Policy | Legal Marketing by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.